Python API in 3D computer graphics software
Python API in 3D computer graphics software: examplary scripts
Example of Python scripts for Autodesk 3D Studio Max, Autodesk Maya and Blender. Those scripts use Python API to create simmilar scene in: Autodesk 3D Studio Max, Autodesk Maya and Blender. Created to show the basics of using Python in those applications.
Final result example(3Ds Max):
Every script has a number of suport functions and seven major functions:
- prepare_scene(path) – The function sets the basic parameters of the scene: time range, tangent type of keyframes and render settings.
- import_and_animate_basic_meshes(path) – This function imports some objects and animates them. It was created to show how to import objects and present one way of creating keyframes of animation.
- create_shark_and_cloud() – Creates meshes from vertex and face data. Similar functions can be used in importer plugin.
- create_chest() – Function creates an object with a use ofrecorded macros, if such function is avaible in software. Macros are a very simple way of creating basic scripts.
- create_and_animate_trees() – Function uses the create_palm() support function to create and animate some palm trees. It was created to show how to create basic geometry objects, use instances and use modificators.
- change_hierarchy_and_animate() – Function modifies the hierarchy of scen and creates some final animations, that ware not possible to create earlier. It also creates cameras and lights.
- create_and_assign_materials() – Function creates and applies materials to the objects. It was created to show how to handle materials.
All scripts have simple GUIs
- Download the content of the „common” directory. Script will ask for path to those files before running
- Read the Readme.md file inside directory wit a script for choosen software and fallow the instructions. Every software has a different way of running scripts